Thursday 9 March 2017

A Fantastic Day

Today was pretty much the best day ever, why?

It started off pretty shaky, first gear swap of the season from snowboard to ski after my coworker called in sick. That's why dual certs are handy! I (if a little begrudgingly) complied and went to get changed, upon returning I found out I had my first full day 9:30/3:30 (longer than normal) of snowbirds - 0-5 year olds on skis. They can be the cutest little guys ever and today they lived up to that reputation. All of them were delightful, my first 5 year old was the brother of my previous Monday student and could even do chair lifts! Although he was too small for the Buttonlift so I had to step up and do my first tandem lift run.. it went remarkably well. Although my forearm is aching from holding tight to him for the duration of the lift, three times. He just loved the moustache trail, all in all.. A level 3 snowbird, my lucky day!

Next up was a no-show, which gave me the opportunity to test out my mates skis, with the possibility of buying them. Turns out they're perfect, nice and light carving ski for a great price. So guess who bought new skis today.. I feel like a proper ski instructor now!

Final bird before lunch was a cute 3 year old - a noodle, but a sweetheart. It tested my ski instructor ability by needing constant contact and support and positivity- right up my alley! I also owe a big thanks to Mickey the lifty who kept him in high spirits by giving big high fives, and marvelling at what we did each run after I relayed the past 20 seconds to him. Team work at its finest. Until he spotted his mum who came by to watch - instant water works and home sickness. But after convincing him to finish his lesson and go back to daycare, he was happy as can be.

At daycare I tried to introduce myself to my 2:30-3:30 snowbird, which didn't go well at all. She refused to ski with a male instructor! So during my lunch break I visited the snow school desk and helped rework schedules so that my female coworker could take my pm snowbirds (to get the kiddie on snow) and I could fill in her scheduled lesson. Despite halving my lunch break as a result, I was in a great mood and hyped for the afternoon.

I had a level 3 lesson where I brought x2 13yearolds and a 6 year old girl into a fun ski team - always laughing and learning together. It was magical. The little girl certainly held her own considering she didn't like boys, or big kids! (It was a wonder she liked me then) The little speed monster was always grilling them for being too slow! I joined the fun making and we had a great afternoon.

Coming home I stopped by a friends house for a chat and indoor golf putting, and then returned to a full house. All my friends were round being ill together it seemed on thier combined day off. So to lighten the mood I cracked open a beer to celebrate my grand day and after a whole load of chit chat I promised to make pancakes for them all. So I did! They were perfect (if I do say so myself.) The perfect end to a pretty much perfect day.

Ps. Alisha from activities got someone to fetch my shoe from the roof to add to my good mood.
A lifty occasionally goes out and takes pictures round the resort, today he captured this beauty. It makes me so happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment