Saturday 25 February 2017

What's New

Thursday: Loving my job! In the morning I had a 1 on 1 children's lesson with a lovely girl, who had forgotten how to turn from her last lesson. Which threw a spanner in the works for my lesson plan. We stayed motivated and gave it our all till lunch, powering through the cold and aching wrist after a nasty little fall. It was relaxed and focused; quiet the opposite of my two new students who arrived at 1 o'clock.
A brother, sister pairing both under 10, who ski in the morning and board in the afternoon. These kids were nuttier than squirrel poo, and had enough energy to give the Duracell bunny a good go. The girl refused to converse and instead opted to impersonate a minion.. Yes, the little yellow blobs from Dispicable Me the movie. At first I was confused, stunned and overwhelmed at the situation. They were snowboarding away, refusing to listen or do what they're told, and bugging each other.

However, I refuse to be out done by a 8 year old. So I use my excellent knowledge of children's films and I start giving them 'missions' themed with Despicable Me which worked amazingly well! They actually wanted to come over and listen to me to get their next game. It was such a hit that I coordinated with Sylvie to create a super group of hyped kids playing my games, it went like this:
"So I talking to Gru, and he said that was more evil than me.. No way! So to prove I was more evil I stole all his weapons and I am chasing you down the slope with them! Rules; Lipstick tazer! = pretend electric shock, Shrink Ray! = crouch into a little, Fart Gun! = waft the smell away, Squid Launcher! = kung-fu the squid away (with sound effects) Piranha Gun! = jump to avoid the piranha biting your toes! Freeze ray! = big stop!" This game was soooooo much fun. I hope you can hear the voices from the film - I know I impersonated them! My loud voice and their delighted screams made heads turn on the lift but everyone was loving it.



Friday Session: Less than a month till my level 2 exam! This weeks training was focused on teaching, carving and self assessment through video feedback! Talking about the EFFECT seen in the snowboard and what is the CAUSE, such as body positions and movements. Taking into consideration conditions, equipment and physical factors that we call TOLERANCE to the perfect image of riding we want to create. Good stuff.

Today was a lazy Saturday. Not many lesson which meant I was back on standby - I haven't had a shift like this is ages! Paid to ski some park and carving training with Michael in the AM. Then I'm the PM I got on some skis and started practising with my ski instructor mates, it was great! We even bumped into the head of ski school, Jason. One of the top 20 skiers in Canada and a level 4 coordinator. I.e. He is insanely good. He attempted to fix my technique in the couple of runs we did together in the sun. Good day.

Tomorrow I am up early for the first day of my ski instructor training! I maybe be borrowing skis and pole but I'm on the case of picking up some second hand gear. I'm so looking forward to it, it should be hilarious 4 snowboard instructors learning how to ski!

Love to all my familly xxx miss you loads xx until next time..


No comments:

Post a Comment