Thursday 13 April 2017

A Good News Day

Today started fairly average and turned into something great. Something we can all aspire to do.

Let me elaborate. Last night was the end of season staff party featuring: a Panorama 2017 staff photo, free food and awards. The free food was top class. Roasted vegetables, tomatoe veggie pasta, creamy chicken mushroom, roast beef and assorted sweet desserts. You better believe I made the most of it! It was nice to have a get together with all my mates from work seeing as my housemates have disappeared. Started with some beer and pool in T bar, then the whole staff party, followed by more beer and pool.
Where's Zak? (Black cap, red checkered shirt)

Needless to say there were more bleary eyes than bushy tails walking round Pano the following morning. Lucky for me I had the early shift today so I cut my night short before it got messy, look at me being all responsible. Set up was a breeze - there were 3 people booked in lessons for the whole day so we were allowed to set up the bare minimum for the yard. Fences and benches around the beginner area. No additional flags or obstacles needed as we can meet the guests personally and there were no beginners anyway.

Today I was finally scheduled back as a snowboard instructor  - which meant I was expecting no lessons today. (I was right!) Therefore I could go rip around the mountain on my snowboard for once! It was amazing, I've missed it recently - what with staying in town to sort spring jobs, summer jobs and all that nonsense. Fortunately Josh my mentor was also on standby, so I had a snowboarder buddy and we headed straight for Tayton Bowl. The last few days have been bizarre for this time of year: fairly cold and plenty of precipitation. Thus, the backcountry was in tip top condition. Ankle deep, supportive but pillowy snow! What a dream to jump down Devils Drop again, making fresh tracks under the sun.

From then on it just got better! Went home early to find I got a barista job at the local cafe! I literally went there yesterday with my resume to introduce myself and my potential first shift is this Saturday! What fantastic timing as the last day of the season IS Sunday! My last day of work is Saturday so there will be no unemployed interim. Thank goodness. Can't wait how to learn how to make a good coffee.. for now I will talk the customers into enjoying it! I certainly can talk so hopefully it will work!

Not only that, but I had another interview for a summer camp counsellor position. I had a Skype interview on Tuesday which went really well with the hiring administrator Rachel from the Tim Hortons Ranch in Alberta. They host an awesome program for deprived kids aged 12-16 providing them with a summer camp experience that they would never normally be able to afford. They also sponsor them for a 5 year youth leadership program, which is what I'd be helping to facilitate. As a cabin counsellor I would look after 4-8 kids for their 10 day camp and be their constant. Engaging all the activities, creating a positive role model and relationship for them whilst at camp. It's a respected and inspiring camp and now I have started a dialogue, I have a contact within the organisation that I can reach out to in the future. Summer 2018 maybe..!

As a celebration I dug into my housemates goodies that they left. Chips for lunch and a dangerously tastey sweet and sour chicken with homemade fried rice for tea. Good stuff!

I've been getting creative recently too. My scrap book is looking good, despite the water damage from the floor of February 2016. I'm so happy to stay in this beautiful area for even longer.





Love to all my family, until next time! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment